In 1978, Thelma Snyder, publisher and editor of the American Racing Pigeon News, was asked to become a director and serve as president. Thelma was well thought of by all pigeon fanciers.
Thelma retired from publishing the American Racing Pigeon News and sold the magazine. The News was founded in 1885 and purchased by her Grandfather, Charles F. Hoser in 1892. Hoser was one of those attending the organizational meeting of the AU in 1909. His publication was then called The Homing Exchange, but he changed the name to The American Racing Pigeon News in 1911.
Thelma was one of the founders of the American Pigeon Fanciers Council, along with Frank Hollman, publisher of the American Pigeon Journal, and served as its Secretary for many years. In 1979, she was given the AU Hall of Fame award for individuals.
In 1995 she shipped her library to the Center, including a complete bound set of the American Racing Pigeon News, many other books and memorabilia including statuary and other art works that she had collected or had been given to her from admirers from around the world. They were appraised at $40,000.